What is the Center for Faith + Work Los Angeles?
The Center for Faith + Work Los Angeles (CFWLA) is a gospel-centered non-profit dedicated to transforming our relationship to work, fostering human flourishing, and renewing Los Angeles. The CFWLA is partnered with Pacific Crossroads Church for cultural renewal to equip, connect and mobilize the church, sent out to care for the world of work.
- First city in the nation to reach 10 million residents
- 88 incorporated cities in LA county spanning 4,084 square miles
- More than 180 countries are represented, speaking 140 different languages.
- Largest major manufacturing center in the U.S.
- Downtown LA hosts the largest government center outside of D.C.
- Largest aerospace and defense county in the nation
- Larger than New York's fashion industry in output and employment
- Over 640,000 people work in health services and biomedical activities
- Home to Silicon Beach with over 300 new tech startup companies per year
- The undisputed, "Entertainment Capital of the World" employs over 160,000 people
- The Los Angeles/Long Beach port system makes up the largest such complex in the Western Hemisphere, handling over 40% of all inbound containers for the entire United States
- LA Unified School District is 2nd largest in nation, enrolling more than 640,000 students
A Center for Faith + Work in Los Angeles
In the midst of the amazing vibrancy and complexity of LA, there remains a deep longing for flourishing in the city, in the marketplace and throughout the various sectors. Intrinsically linked to whether we flourish or languish is the intersection of our faith and work. Reflecting on the dignity of meaningful work, President Calvin Coolidge once said, “He who builds a factory builds a temple, and he who works there worships there.” When we embrace this integration of faith and work well, we discover our work becoming “not primarily, a thing one does to live, but the thing one lives to do,” as Dorothy Sayers has said. CFWLA exists to explore this very intersection and to respond to the lack of education and dialogue surrounding this pressing need. This enables us to include in our Christian tradition, not only the belief of what God has saved us from, but also the life-giving truth of what we are saved for. Integrating our faith and work puts us on a solid path to follow God’s call in every area of our lives and to love our city well.
“Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.”
Participants in the conferences, workshops and courses will gain a theological framework and language by which to discuss the integration of faith and work and become better equipped to live out the transforming nature of the gospel in their vocational lives.
Any person seeking to better understand the intersection of their faith with their vocations and explore new and enriching ways that work not only matters to God, but is the primary vehicle by which the gospel shapes and influences culture.
What does CFWLA provide?
The Center for Faith + Work Los Angeles provides programming in three areas:
- Theological and spiritual formation within a rich and transformative community
- Envisioning God’s redemptive purposes for all aspects of life including our work
- Initiating expressions of social, cultural and spiritual renewal in our city
6 week faith and work courses on learning the theological basis and practical skills for applying one's faith to vocational life.
Intensive nine month, top tier leadership development program providing extensive theological training, spiritual formation experience, intimate community development, and practical planning and initiation of gospel-centered cultural renewal projects.
Annual conferences designed to provide insightful reflection on the most relevant issues of integrating faith and work among artists, engineers, scientists, educators, managers, homemakers, entrepreneurs, doctors and everyone else in the working world.